Wednesday 26 May 2010

Inspired by scrap and layers
























































































































As part of my course at Bournville, I'm required to do a Holiday Project. Fun right? Totally!!
When I read the first task which is to visit and exhibition I got really excited and then I moved onto task 2....Hmmm what?! It was rather confusing, immediately I felt like crying. Until I turned over the page and saw TASK 3!
Task 3 is about connecting to fabric. Right up my street that. I was bursting with excitement! One of the Artists recommended was Natasha Kerr. And I'm SO happy she was recommended, her work is absolutely beautiful. My whole body was just bursting with inspiration and excitement as I looked through her work.
Japanese Boro was also recommended, firstly the word boro in Japanese means rags or scraps.
I search some sites on Google and saw different scraps fabric sewn together to make garments, patches on clothes or just fabric collages. It was very similar to Natasha Kerr's work. So I decided to use these two sources as my backbone for this task.

After I've completed this project I would love to do some quilting of my own, maybe make some garments and accessories using this technique.

Images from Google: from top down
Natasha Kerr's work
Japanese Boro example
Quilting examples

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Fashion (33) Textiles (17) Art (9) Bournville (9) Sewing (8) final major project (8) Colour (7) Prints (6) Inspiration (5) Photography (5) Aqua-film (4) Designs (4) Illustration (4) Atsuko Tanaka (3) Caribbean (3) Exam (3) Fabrics (3) Fashion Designer (3) Quilting (3) Vogue (3) nature (3) project (3) Black and White (2) Creative (2) Drawing (2) Hexagons (2) Ikon (2) Jamaica (2) Japanese (2) Knit (2) Love (2) Paint (2) Paintings (2) Sketches (2) Stitches (2) Styles (2) Summer (2) Trends (2) catwalk (2) flowers (2) headscarves (2) junya watanabe (2) organza (2) textiles design (2) 40s and 50s pin-up (1) 70s print (1) Alfred Eisenstaedt (1) Alpine (1) BA Visual Arts by negotiated study degree show (1) BCU (1) Betty Grable (1) Book (1) Bored (1) Britain's Got Talent (1) Carolina Herrara (1) Company Magazine (1) Composition (1) Confident (1) Constructed Textiles (1) David Downton (1) Degree (1) Disappointment (1) Elle magazine (1) Embriodery (1) Fate (1) Free-hand machine foot (1) Friends (1) Holiday (1) Hope (1) Interior Design (1) Kandinsky (1) LOL (1) Marilyn Monroe (1) Marios Scwab (1) Mary Katranzou (1) Monday (1) Music (1) Native American (1) New Year (1) Pefectionist (1) Pencil (1) Random (1) Reflection (1) Research (1) Sandra Buckland (1) Scrap (1) Spring (1) Stina Persson (1) Tobias Mead (1) University work (1) V-J Day (1) Water colour (1) Wedding Dresses (1) Yanii (1) analogue photography (1) bloglovin (1) crinoline (1) editorial (1) etsy (1) exhibition (1) gifts (1) handmade (1) identity (1) imagery (1) it (1) lomography (1) lookbook (1) media (1) minimal (1) mixed-media (1) portfolio (1) positive (1) school (1) screen print (1) shopping (1) sketchbook (1) snow (1) stress (1) textures (1) underestimate (1) vintage (1) volunteering (1) weave (1) world issues (1)