Monday 5 April 2010

Never underestimate yourself!

Life is not always easy. Sometimes you try to do something but the ideas aren't flowing or things are not turning out the way you plan. One thing I've experienced is things never really turn out the way I plan but in the end all is well. For example when I feel the urge to sew, paint or sketch a design. But when I start I just can't get things right, and that's when I start to question my own abilities. Can I really be a fashion designer? Can I handle the stress of design school? ect...
Going into this phase of underestimating myself is seriously damaging and time consuming. I totally reject doing thing I love, which makes me miserable!

Solution?
To overcome this feeling I usually leave the task I'm attempting and do something else like:
-watch an inspiring film
-talk to my friends
-listen to music
-take a nap
And if all fail I usually watch cartoons with my little sister.

These days with all the pressure from school, parents, peers and the media to be successful we can all go into this phase of underestimating our own abilities. Remember everyone is different and we are all talented in our own way. Just because you're not top of the class at school doesn't mean you will fail in life. Just because you failed at something you love, keep trying and you will succeed. Last year I entered a fashion competition and everyone was telling me 'you will get through to the finals' and I tried to act modest but I really wanted to get through. Unfortunately I didn't make the finals. I was torn but got offered to work backstage at the show. I accepted because it was still an experience I didn't want to miss out on. While working at the show I was inspired to keep designing and improve my skills because one day I might get through to the competition and achieve even more in the future. So next year I will enter it again and fingers crossed I will make it.

Like the saying: if you fall down pick yourself back up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Fashion (33) Textiles (17) Art (9) Bournville (9) Sewing (8) final major project (8) Colour (7) Prints (6) Inspiration (5) Photography (5) Aqua-film (4) Designs (4) Illustration (4) Atsuko Tanaka (3) Caribbean (3) Exam (3) Fabrics (3) Fashion Designer (3) Quilting (3) Vogue (3) nature (3) project (3) Black and White (2) Creative (2) Drawing (2) Hexagons (2) Ikon (2) Jamaica (2) Japanese (2) Knit (2) Love (2) Paint (2) Paintings (2) Sketches (2) Stitches (2) Styles (2) Summer (2) Trends (2) catwalk (2) flowers (2) headscarves (2) junya watanabe (2) organza (2) textiles design (2) 40s and 50s pin-up (1) 70s print (1) Alfred Eisenstaedt (1) Alpine (1) BA Visual Arts by negotiated study degree show (1) BCU (1) Betty Grable (1) Book (1) Bored (1) Britain's Got Talent (1) Carolina Herrara (1) Company Magazine (1) Composition (1) Confident (1) Constructed Textiles (1) David Downton (1) Degree (1) Disappointment (1) Elle magazine (1) Embriodery (1) Fate (1) Free-hand machine foot (1) Friends (1) Holiday (1) Hope (1) Interior Design (1) Kandinsky (1) LOL (1) Marilyn Monroe (1) Marios Scwab (1) Mary Katranzou (1) Monday (1) Music (1) Native American (1) New Year (1) Pefectionist (1) Pencil (1) Random (1) Reflection (1) Research (1) Sandra Buckland (1) Scrap (1) Spring (1) Stina Persson (1) Tobias Mead (1) University work (1) V-J Day (1) Water colour (1) Wedding Dresses (1) Yanii (1) analogue photography (1) bloglovin (1) crinoline (1) editorial (1) etsy (1) exhibition (1) gifts (1) handmade (1) identity (1) imagery (1) it (1) lomography (1) lookbook (1) media (1) minimal (1) mixed-media (1) portfolio (1) positive (1) school (1) screen print (1) shopping (1) sketchbook (1) snow (1) stress (1) textures (1) underestimate (1) vintage (1) volunteering (1) weave (1) world issues (1)