Friday 30 September 2011

who is yanii?

Our first module in Textiles is all about Identity, defining yourself through your work and making your personality shine through your work. It's a great concept for promoting originality in our work but I've never had to define my identity through my drawings, and the drawing exercises weren't your generic pencil, paint detailed drawings. Our tutors wanted us to use three words we use to describe yourselves and draw in the style of the words. The three words I chose were timid, busy and colourful. Here are a few snapshots of my week of drawing.

Day 1:- Signatures







On Monday were were using our signature to generate patterns, by writing
our name repeatedly and overlapping it each time. I actually really enjoyed this
but when we started to use this technique to generate drawings it was a bit hard to find
a comfort zone. But I managed to grasp the concept when I started to layer my signature
on my drawings using different media. The most successful drawing was the parrot, layering with
paint and my signature.

Day 2:- Making textures
















Making different textures was something I really enjoyed and I think shows my identity more than the drawings with my signatures. We were given blank pieces of paper and were free to make different textures on the surface of the paper using any media of our choice. For me this was like printmaking so ideas flowed smoothly, especially when I found one technique that I could develop in many ways. I mostly worked with inks, a craft knife and paints. The textured papers also worked well when I started to cut shapes into it. For some reason I wanted to cut them into circles and layer them.

So this is what I've been working on during my first week of university.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Fashion (33) Textiles (17) Art (9) Bournville (9) Sewing (8) final major project (8) Colour (7) Prints (6) Inspiration (5) Photography (5) Aqua-film (4) Designs (4) Illustration (4) Atsuko Tanaka (3) Caribbean (3) Exam (3) Fabrics (3) Fashion Designer (3) Quilting (3) Vogue (3) nature (3) project (3) Black and White (2) Creative (2) Drawing (2) Hexagons (2) Ikon (2) Jamaica (2) Japanese (2) Knit (2) Love (2) Paint (2) Paintings (2) Sketches (2) Stitches (2) Styles (2) Summer (2) Trends (2) catwalk (2) flowers (2) headscarves (2) junya watanabe (2) organza (2) textiles design (2) 40s and 50s pin-up (1) 70s print (1) Alfred Eisenstaedt (1) Alpine (1) BA Visual Arts by negotiated study degree show (1) BCU (1) Betty Grable (1) Book (1) Bored (1) Britain's Got Talent (1) Carolina Herrara (1) Company Magazine (1) Composition (1) Confident (1) Constructed Textiles (1) David Downton (1) Degree (1) Disappointment (1) Elle magazine (1) Embriodery (1) Fate (1) Free-hand machine foot (1) Friends (1) Holiday (1) Hope (1) Interior Design (1) Kandinsky (1) LOL (1) Marilyn Monroe (1) Marios Scwab (1) Mary Katranzou (1) Monday (1) Music (1) Native American (1) New Year (1) Pefectionist (1) Pencil (1) Random (1) Reflection (1) Research (1) Sandra Buckland (1) Scrap (1) Spring (1) Stina Persson (1) Tobias Mead (1) University work (1) V-J Day (1) Water colour (1) Wedding Dresses (1) Yanii (1) analogue photography (1) bloglovin (1) crinoline (1) editorial (1) etsy (1) exhibition (1) gifts (1) handmade (1) identity (1) imagery (1) it (1) lomography (1) lookbook (1) media (1) minimal (1) mixed-media (1) portfolio (1) positive (1) school (1) screen print (1) shopping (1) sketchbook (1) snow (1) stress (1) textures (1) underestimate (1) vintage (1) volunteering (1) weave (1) world issues (1)